Radiology Trainee Survey 2013
Presented by Shy Mohan Registrar Representative BSPR Junior Forum at BSPR 2013 at York
Current difficulty in recruiting consultant Paediatric Radiologists
at least 12 vacant substantive posts in UK
Perceived lack of interest in subspecialty by trainees
RCR 2010 workforce survey suggests 1 in 13 consultant posts are vacant
Sent to all Training Schemes , through BSPR members
Responses from all but 2 Schemes
133 responses (currently approximately 920 trainees in radiology)
Survey monkey; 10 questions
1. What is your current level of radiology training ?
ST1 - 18; ST2 - 31; ST3 - 25; ST4 - 24; ST5 - 23; ST6 or above 11
2. Which Training Scheme are you based?
E midlands - 2; E of England - 2; London - 19; Mersey - 1; N Ireland - 10
North west - 15; Oxford - 3; Scotland - 17; Severn - 1; SW Penninsula - 11
Wessex - 4; W Midlands - 12; Yorkshire and Humber - 26; Wales - 3
3. How much experience of Paediatric Radiology do you gain, on average, during your general radiology training (ST1 to ST3) in your scheme?
<2 months - 11; 2 to 4 months - 99; 4 to 6 months - 17; >6 months - 5
4. How much clinical experience did you have prior to radiology training?
<1 year - 10; 1 to 2 years - 41; 2 to 3 years - 23; >3 years - 58
5. How much clinical experience did you have in Paediatric medicine or surgery prior to radiology training?
None - 77; < 6 months - 41; 6 to 12 months - 13; 1 to 2 years - 0; >2 years - 1
6. Is there a structured specialist training scheme for Paediatric radiology specialisation (ST4 and 5) in your training scheme?
No - 29 (24%); Yes 90 (76%)
7. Have you considered an Out of Programme Training (OOPT) in paediatric radiology?
Completed - 1; Arranged or planned - 2; Would like to do but limited opportunities - 22;
No - 102
8. Would you consider Paediatric radiology as an area of specialisation
As a special interest in a DGH setting - 37; as a specialty in a tertiary centre - 19
Undecided - 18; No - 69
9. If you answered No to the previous question, what is the main reason for not choosing paediatric radiology as a specialisation?
I prefer another specialty - 20; I do not want to work with children - 25; no job satisfaction - 2; not enough private work - 3; NAI reporting can be problematic - 12; it is a difficult specialty - 13
10. in your institution, is there round the clock Consultant cover for paediatric radiology?
Yes, a dedicated rota - 65; Yes covered by general consultants - 25; Yes from another hospital - 9; No -32
Overall situation not as bad as feared
Main reasons for not choosing the specialty;
- not wanting to work with children
- NAI reporting
- perceived difficulty of the specialty
Interest in specialisation as a DGH radiologist
for those interested, limited OOPT opportunities
25% surveyed report lack of consultant paediatric radiology on call cover.
RCR recommendations about Level 1 and Level 2 training
Fellowships within UK at 4 hospitals
Fellowships outwith the UK